Friday, September 24, 2010

Prudence in the Face of Spiritual Scams

If someone trained by Bernie Madoff, using a “Madoff-Approved” investment strategy tried to get me to invest with him, I’d send him away. Quickly. Loudly. With a few sarcastic remarks.


I like my money. I want it to grow. So I wouldn’t imprudently risk it with someone trained by a known conman, no matter how nice and earnest the young investment advisor seemed. And, if he wasn’t trying to con me and he really couldn’t see why a method designed by Madoff was a bad idea, I would be flabbergasted.

Here’s the thing : My kids, and their faith formation, are a LOT more important to me than money. (Obviously –or I wouldn’t keep having them, since there seems to be an inverse relationship between the number of kids and the money in the bank…)

So, when someone comes to me and wants me to let my kids participate in a Marcial Maciel approved youth activity – and when they start NEW Maciel-approved youth activities and ignore the programs origins, I get a little…annoyed.


My parish school is now using K4J in religion class. (Thank goodness we home school!)   Challenge is using the home school mailing list and sent my daughter an invitation to one of their events. (sigh)  I honestly can't comprehend why parents think it's OK to enroll their kids in programs approved by a man with no religious sentiment or scruples (Citation ).  
No one would choose a “Madoff-approved” investment scheme for their hard-earned money. It would be imprudent. So why are they LESS prudent with their children than they are with their retirement funds?

And I apologize for the lack of intelligent argument. But blogging beats screaming.

3 comments:

Charlotte (Waltzing Matilda) said...

Very interesting. Our homeschool email group was also sent an email for the Challenge club. I guess it must be their recruiting time of year.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny, the name K4J? In the middle of saying it, you can't help saying the word "forge."

Roger said...

Oh, but you see........ Bernie Madoff was not "inspired"... Father Maciel was "inspired"..... Go figure.....