Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hear that Smacking Sound?

It's the sound of the CDF slapping their foreheads at LC/RC obtuseness:


Here's the interview

The money phrase is:

In sixty percent of cases there has been no trial, above all because of the advanced age of the accused, but administrative and disciplinary provisions have been issued against them, such as the obligation not to celebrate Mass with the faithful, not to hear confession, and to live a retired life of prayer. It must be made absolutely clear that in these cases, some of which are particularly sensational and have caught the attention of the media, no absolution has taken place. It's true that there has been no formal condemnation, but if a person is obliged to a life of silence and prayer, then there must be a reason...



So much for the whole argument that Maciel was never convicted and was just "Taking on for the Church," huh?  I guess the problem is the CDF assumed we were all smarter than we actually are.. mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.  At least we know better for next time, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a married couple, both avid rc-ers, who insisted (at the time of maciel's 'retirement') that there was no trial because there was not enough evidence!
A prime example of legion logic.

Deirdre Mundy said...

Anon- to be fair, I've never been in RC, and *I* bought that line at the time! After all, I figured, all the RC people I knew interpreted the Vatican communication that way, and surely they knew more about the situation than I did!

(I also didn't have internet at the time, and had a toddler and a baby... so Maciel was probably somewhere below the GDP of Tunisia on the list of "Things I cared about")

Now that there's a huge list of things that the leadership has clearly lied about (Maciel's mistresses and families, Maciel's plagiarism, etc.) I think even RC people must be realizing that everything has been spun from the beginning.

I'd be interested to know if the couple you mentioned STILL believes what the LCs tell them....