Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Worst Children's Books

Courtesy of Reason magazine.

They critique the Rainbow Fish from a political/moral point of view. I'd argue that the writing and illustrating are also...bleck. I won't let it in our house.... of course, I have that awesome Kafka children's book bopping around somewhere, so.... (No...it's awesome, really! It's a Kafka Short Story, and the illustrations are done in the style of Magritte! I'm totally pulling it out once my daughter hits six or so!)

1 comment:

Dawn Farias said...

We read through the Fish at our library and I didn't like it, either. The author also states my biggest 'worry' about The Poky Little Puppy. I read it to the kids and lay in dread of the day they realize what that article's author did: that the puppy ends up ahead in the end.