Friday, May 1, 2009

Today's Special and a Post-Racial America

This morning I was showing my kids what children's TV USED to look like, back in the 80's, before CGI and 'Sid the Science Kid"

So I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cxLfIs051c

And I started wondering... Were Jody and whats-her-name the first interracial couple on children's TV? Are they one of the reasons people my age and younger think interacial dating is no big deal? Could a pretty-stupid-show-with-catchy-music have changed the racial landscape of America?

Or, to put it another way, does Barack Obama owe part of his success to Zoobilee Zoo?

And what values are our current shows teaching our kids? Will 'Sid' lead to a generation who expects their children to have awesome student-to-teacher ratios and hard-core science from a young age? (I hope so!)

2 comments:

matthew archbold said...

you could be onto something. American children watched "Sigmund the Sea Monster" for years and now that we've grown up we elect all sorts of monsters into Congress and the White House;)

Deirdre Mundy said...

Sigmund the Sea Monster? When was THAT on?

I know they've always said that the "Smurfs" would turn us all into communists.....

So.... What would (hypothetically) happen to kids who watch Star Trek and Star Wars?