Tuesday, March 31, 2009

T.S.Eliot and Me

T.S. Eliot seems to be stalking me this week.

First, I came across his animal farm rejection, via Althouse.

Then, I was reading "The Pobble Who Had No Toes" to my kids, and came across the Runcible Cat. "Aha!" I thought. "Runcible Cat, Runcible Spoon. It's not a spork, it's Tortoise Shell!"

So I did a search for "Runcible Tortoise shell" and got pointed to this book, in which Eliot discusses the reasons that Runcible does NOT mean Tortoise shell, in a lecture on education.

The Lecture in question? The 1950 Aims of Education Address at the University of Chicago!!!!!!!

Weird, huh? A random internet search on Lear connects to The College...... and makes me miss the quads all the more. Good thing my 10th reunion is coming up, so I can play at being an undergrad again!

No comments: