Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Words, Words, Words!

Do you ever get a word stuck in your head? For me, when I do, it's like a song I can't stop singing. Except, in this case, it's a word I can't stop thinking, that keeps trying to sneak out into my typing.

Today, I have Palimpset stuck in my head. Worst of all, I can't remember what it means! Oh well, off to the dictionary. (I have the Chambers. It's marvelous, and a gift from my husband. Every page has words I don't know! what a luxury!)

oops! I was spelling it wrong! It's Palimpsest! And it means: A manuscript in which old writing has been rubbed out to make room for new; a monumental brass turned over for a new inscription.....

Suddenly, I remember where I first heard this word. And why I love it. And why it's stuck in my head at this particular place in my WIP, which DOES involve some ancient archives. Oooh. And, in a way, the whole plot may hinge on a palimpsest! I see now!!!!!

By the way....I am sane, really. I just like words.

2 comments:

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

I was at a workshop some years ago where the guy directing introduced the idea of “Claytomancy,” which he called a form of divination based on the odd words or phrases we overhear and/or stick with us. I haven’t been able to find that word anywhere else, but it’s an interesting idea.

Your example is only the latest in a string of words and phrases that come to life and start hanging about-- frequently (as you illustrate here) right before or as they are needed.

matthew archbold said...

Wait! Is sane a relative term? ;)