Friday, October 3, 2008

Does "Newbery" Mean Best?

A good article from School Library Journal on recent Newbery award winners and their lack of appeal to readers.

Personally, I thought Rules by Cynthia Lord was more deserving of a win that The Higher Power of Lucky was. And I loved Hattie Big Sky but found Penny from Heaven totally forgettable. So, at least for 2007 I think the committee was about half right.

Now here's a question: What are your favorite Newbery's that most people haven't read?

I've always adored The Trumpeter of Krakow (1929) and Invincible Louisa(1934)

Then, a few years ago, I picked up Carry On, Mr. Bowditch (1956) and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it!

1 comment:

ignorant redneck said...

I loved "Carry on, Mr. Bowditch"! It's from a time when it was ok for kids to learn about perseverence and effort, and to find heroes.

BTW--the basic book that the navy uses to teach navigation, and as a reference is still called "Bowditch".