Friday, March 7, 2008

Getting the Slush Monkey off my back!

Well, the latest round of rejections has come in, and I've decided that it's time to take a good, hard look at some of my PB manuscripts.

Questions to Ask Myself:

1. If I was critiquing this for someone else, would I be excited to read it, or would I groan and think "Not another one!"

2. If I saw this book in a store with mediocre illustrations, would I still be willing to read it to my child because the story was just so great? Would I read it nightly or quickly consign it to the library book sale?

3. Would I by this book for a friend with a young child?

4. Does it really work as a dummy?

If a book passes these tests, I'll give it another few chances. Otherwise, they're going to the big slush pile that is my backup hard drive!

Now... off to the mines.....

No comments: