Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Trophy Kids

There's been a lot of talk on the Internet over the last few days about "Trophy Kids" . I think most of the commentary is pretty unfair. (though that might just be because, as the soon-to-be mother of three, I fall into the category of "Competitive Birther." Yeah, right. )

I think the whole issue might really be one of social norms....

If you know a lot of people who think 3, 4, or even 5 is an acceptable number of children, you're probably more likely to seriously consider having a larger family.

If, on the other hand, everyone you know stops at one, you'll probably see one as the norm.....

Also, there's the wide availability of in vitro fertilization, with its tendency to multiple births....


Personally, considering the crowd I hang out with (Catholic Home-schoolers, mostly), my three is a bit pathetic.....

I keep going to events, meeting people who see my two daughters (almost 4 and almost 2) and my impending arrival (only 2 months to go), and watching as my new acquaintance scans the room, clearly wondering where I'm hiding the rest of my brood.......

sigh.... if three puts you in the "competitive birther" category, I'm doomed to be pretty close to last place....... =)

No comments: