Friday, July 27, 2007

NOW they tell me......

From a review of Wendy Shalit's new book on modesty, Girls Gone Mild:

"Scarleteen offers a “sex readiness checklist” for young girls to help them gauge whether they should plunge into the fun. Among the items: “I see a doctor regularly,” and “I have a birth control budget of $50 per month.” The emotional readiness a girl should demonstrate is “I can separate love from sex.” Shalit notes, “Those who can separate love from sex are mature, like jaded adults. They are ready to embark on a lifetime of meaningless encounters.”




Baby # 3 is coming, and the only one of these things that applies to me is the one about regular check-ups with a doctor......
(Note-- neither the reviewer, the author of the book, or the blogger is endorsing this particular checklist -- obviously, since baby #3 is on the way! =) )

2 comments:

DMH said...

Shalit's quote is so harsh; how unfortunate that it can be so true.

Deirdre Mundy said...

It's pretty depressing if that's what teenage girls have to work with...

Of course, my personal "checklist" is mercifully short- 1 question applicable to both sexes and all ages:

1. Are you married?

But I realize that such a checklist won't fly with most kids in this day and age....

Of course, I don't really need it to work for most kids... I just need it to work for my daughters and, if they ever get married, for the guys they chose to marry. =)