Thursday, May 3, 2007

I'm worth $140,000 a year???

I don't think so. But these people do:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18466753?GT1=9951

I did my own math here, using small-town rates of pay (and assuming that I really shouldn't get paid for when my husband's helping...)

This is what I came up with:

Housekeeping (not my strong suit, I admit) - $7.00/ hour for 4 hours a day
Teacher (I may be overestimating nursery school salaries here...) $14.00/ hour at 3 hours a day
Cook (more like Bob Evans, less like Emile) - $9.00/ hour for 3 hours a day
Secretary - $10.00 / hour for 1 hour a day....

Assuming I worked just as hard on vacations and weekends (I don't), I'd be worth $39,000 a year to replace... about what I'd be making if I had a full time job, actually!

I think the above calculation went wrong by assuming that the work I do is always top-notch professional quality...

I'm not doing abnormal psychology here.... I'm doing nursery school teacher level psychology....

And I'm not doing all the jobs listed at every moment...

For instance, I just spent 15 minutes reading the article, calculating my own pay, and writing it up..... This is CERTAINLY not pay worthy work! And I'm betting most stay-at-home Moms spend a lot of time not working... just in 15 minute chunks.

Articles like this one are just plain silly...

No comments: