Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Market Research

One thing I love about writing for children is the "market research." It's a wonderful way to justify hanging around the new book shelves at the library.

Yesterday I picked up some great ones.

My kids have fallen in love with Pip and Squeak by Ian Schoenherr. The pictures are great- I never thought of snow as warm and welcoming before, but he makes it seem that way. The story is short and sweet, and the mice think just like toddlers!

I flew through A Dog for Life by L.S. Matthews. It was a short, thrilling journey across England. It touched on a number of serious issues: grieving, cancer, alternative medicine, animal experimentation and prejudice. I think it will leave kids wanting to think longer and harder about them, but it didn't get bogged down in delivering a message. I highly recommend it!

No comments: